Digital Marketing Lesson 1
Basics of Advertising
The Definition – Advertising is the paid process of sharing information of offers, benefits and applications etc. of any particular business or service in a non-personal way of communication by identified sponsors.
Some Key Points about Basics of Advertising –
- Advertising is done using Eye Catching Images, Decorative Texts and Creative Videos etc.
- Advertising is not personal. The communication in advertising is not a “face to face communication”.
- There is a sponsor who pays for sharing the ideas, service information, usage benefits and anything he wants to communicate to potential customers.
- Advertising is targeted towards potential customers / consumers.
- Advertising is done for providing Information and notifications.
What are Key Functions of Advertising?
- Advertising improves image of a Brand.
- Advertising provides information about products and services of a brand.
- Advertising brings customer and client to a business and hence increases sales and profit.
- Advertising provides Official Notifications
Classifications of Advertising:
From the points mentioned above it is clear that advertising is directed or targeted towards a particular group of customers/ consumers / clients / people. Based on the genre of potential clients and advertisers , advertising can be classified as:
- Consumer Advertising – It is directed towards the users of Fast Moving Consumer Goods, daily usage products.
- Business to Business Advertising (B2B) – B2B advertising is directed towards those clients that are business owners. Schools, Colleges, Industries etc. belong to this category. Advertising products that are needed by these clients to run their organizations efficiently.
- Global Advertising – Many organizations and companies operate on a large international scale. They utilize global advertising techniques to attract customers. Their clients can be industries, organizations or a single consumer.
- Local Advertising – Local Advertising is targeted to a particular region, city or an area. For Example a Garments Store. A garment store will mostly get local clients hence the advertisements will be targeted to some areas only.
- Non – Profitable Advertising – We are using the term nonprofit because this type of advertising is done for a social cause or creating awareness in the society about something that can affect is a society in a good or a bad way. For Example – Creating Awareness about diseases etc.
- Political Advertising – Advertisers in this type of advertising are political parties or an individual candidate. Clients are the people who vote for them. Political advertising is done to inform people about the plans, schemes, activities and other things that are done for the welfare of the society.
These are some points related to Basics of Advertising. Users can discuss about advertising in great detail in the comment section below. We will do our best to answer all queries and respond to suggestions.